Sunday, June 29, 2014

Give This a Chai

Tomorrow I will be hitting the open road with my boyfriend for four days of adventure. We are headed to San Francisco, but my main interest is camping in the Redwoods. I've wanted to do this for years, but each summer something always gets in the way, and I haven't been able to cross it off my bucket list yet.

But this is the year!

We have the trip planned, the days have been taken off work, and we'e just picked up camping gear from his parents. I am so excited! Growing up, I went camping all the time, and it is my favorite way to spend a vacation. I don't know what it is about spending all of your time outside, sleeping with nothing but a nylon flap separating you from the wild, and cooking over a fire that just makes me the happiest person in the world. But it does.

I've got 1 quart for the trip...and a glass to test it out
 I like to pack my own snacks and food when I camp, and I've been coming up with some of my favorites to throw today before we leave at the ass crack of dawn on tomorrow morning. I've been finding plenty of inspiration online, and am excited to try a recipe that I found on the blog The Year In Food. Her recipe for Cherry Cacao Ginger Granola Bites looks fantastic, and is just the sort of thing I'm jonesing to make for the trip. Homemade convenience food, but with a healthy spin. I have plenty of food planned, but what can I make to drink?

The flavors are beautiful
Chai is my drink of choice. It's incredibly soothing and comforting in the winter. The combination of spices are enough to make my heart do a happy dance, and want to chug the drink as fast as I can, but also savor it as slowly as possible. It is just as comforting, but refreshing and light during the summer when I drink it iced.


I love spices. They can uplift an ordinary dish to something exotic, extraordinary, and exciting. I've learned more about the magic of spices since I began culinary school, and have adopted the use of them as part of my signature style. I love experimenting with flavor combinations, different blooming techniques, and trying to capture the essence of different international cuisines who have a huge focus on the use of spices.

I've been making my own chai concentrate at home for about 3 or 4 years now, and each time I tweak the recipe a little, trying to balance the flavors perfectly. This is the way I made it today, and it's pretty perfect for me. All I have to do is pack a container of almond milk and I'll have plenty of chai for the trip to San Francisco.

This is really a simple recipe, and . Mix it with equal parts milk, or milk alternative, and you have a chai that is easily as good (if not better) than the one that you're paying $4 for at the coffee shop.

Chai Concentrate

Iced...with cinnamon on top
  • 4 1/2 C water
  • 2 Cinnamon sticks
  • 1 3" piece of Ginger, peeled and chopped
  • 7 whole Cardamom pods
  • 2 whole Star Anise pods
  • 10 whole Cloves
  • 1 whole Vanilla Bean
  • 1/4 tsp whole Black Pepper
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground Nutmeg
  • 1 tsp Orange zest
  • 10 bags Black Tea
  • 1/2 C Brown Sugar
  • 1 TBSP Honey
  • 1 TBSP Vanilla
Prepare spices and tea, set aside.
Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise.
Bring water to boil, remove from heat.
Add spices, tea bags, and vanilla bean, steep for 15 minutes.
Strain into large bowl, discard spices.
Add sugar, honey, and vanilla, stir until sugar dissolves.
Pour into one large jar, or smaller jars and store in the fridge. 

To enjoy: Mix with equal parts milk, almond milk, hemp milk, or whatever milk alternative you prefer. It can be enjoyed hot or cold, and is great to pack in the cooler for a road trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment